How do I apply for the Federal Direct Loan?

When you complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) you are applying for a Federal Direct Loan that will part of your financial aid award. After completing the FAFSA, you will also need to complete a Federal Master Promissory Note (MPN) and an Entrance Counseling Session, which can be found on your MySlice Financial Aid To-Do List.

My award lists a Federal Perkins Loan. What paperwork do I need to file to receive this loan?

You will need to complete a Master Promissory Note (MPN) for the loan, which can be found on your MySlice Financial Aid To Do List.

What is the difference between a Subsidized Federal Direct Loan and an Unsubsidized Federal Direct Loan?

The government pays your interest on a subsidized loan while you are enrolled in college. The government does not pay your interest on an unsubsidized loan. You will either need to make interest payments while you are in school or defer your interest payments to begin after leaving/graduating from college. Read more about the difference between a subsidized and unsubsidized loan.