As a Smart Money peer coach you will have the opportunity to earn course credit towards your degree, build your resume with valuable, hands-on experience, and help your fellow students establish their financial foundation.
Applicants are selected each spring for the fall Coach Development Program. Selected candidates will enroll by permission only in PAF-410, a 3-credit course. In the program, you will sharpen your personal financial knowledge and obtain the skills needed to help others do the same. Successful trainees go on to become peer coaches for the Syracuse Smart Money program.
- Rising sophomores and juniors
- Ability to accommodate the three credit PAF-410 in your academic plan, without exceeding 19 credits
Email your resume to FinLit@syr.edu with the email subject: Coach Application. Resumes are due no later than March 1st. Candidates will be interviewed and selected for the program by April 1st.
Coach Development Program
Through the Coach Development Program, students develop a knowledge base in these core competencies:
- Spending – Budgeting, goal-setting, campus deals
- Borrowing – Credit scores, credit reports, mortgage types, buying vs. renting, buying vs. leasing vehicles
- Saving and Investing – Options, accounts, emergency savings, investing basics, market overviews, asset class types and characteristics, security features (stocks, bonds, mutual funds)
- Earning – Understanding general tax concepts, benefits packages, retirement plan types
- Protecting Against Risk – Types of insurance, features and benefits – including life, health, auto, home, disability, long-term care, and identity theft.
Upon completion of PAF-410, students become peer coaches for Syracuse Smart Money, and are able to:
- Coach individual students on financial topics such as budgeting, saving, spending, and earning.*
- Deliver group presentations to schools and organizations on campus.
- Educate students on student loan types, resources, and repayment strategies.
- Manage their own finances more effectively.
- Discuss higher level strategies such as investing, insurance, and benefits selection.
*Coaches provide education, information, and strategies only. Students interested in financial planning and investments are encouraged to consult a financial professional.
Learn how the decisions you make today will impact your future. Contact us for additional information or to schedule a financial coaching session.
Address: 200 Bowne Hall, Syracuse, NY 13244