Syracuse University welcomes you and fellow students from more than 130 countries.

On this page, you’ll find merit scholarship and loan information. Please note: Federal financial aid is only distributed to United States citizens, permanent residents, and eligible noncitizens.

Who is considered an international student?

An international student is a non-resident alien on a nonimmigrant visa that permits full time study in the United States. To receive federal financial aid you must be a U.S. citizen or an eligible noncitizen (permanent resident). A Permanent Resident is a non-United States citizen who has been given permission to permanently reside in the United States and has been issued the United States Permanent Resident Card. Students with a “Notice of Approval to Apply for Permanent Residence” (Forms I-171 or I-464) or an “Application for Voluntary Departure Under the Family Unity Program” (Form I-797) are not eligible for federal financial aid.

Undergraduate International Merit Scholarships
Syracuse University offers merit-based scholarships in recognition of exceptional academic and personal achievement. Selection is made by the Office of Admission and eligibility is based on academic credentials. Eligible students will be notified at the time of admission.

To learn more, contact the Office of Admissions.

Financial Aid for International Graduate and Certificate of Advance Study Programs

Syracuse University’s academic departments and programs may offer students grants, scholarships, assistantships, fellowships and prizes. Contact the program or department for information about the availability of merit awards.

Loans for International Students

Loans for International Students

Alternative Loans  –  U.S. Cosigner required

View the estimated Cost of Attendance

Visit these sites for more information about international student financial aid: