Types of Aid

The following list contains information about the types of financial aid available to Syracuse University students.

In this Section

More Information

Federal Direct PLUS Loan

Parents may borrow the Federal Direct Parent PLUS loan from the federal government to help pay the educational costs for their dependent undergraduate children.

Federal Direct Subsidized Student Loan

The Federal Direct Student Loan may be borrowed by undergraduate students with financial need as determined by the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The U.S. Department of Education pays the interest while you are enrolled at least half-time.

Federal Direct Unsubsidized Student Loan

The Federal Direct Unsubsidized Student Loan may be borrowed by undergraduate, graduate and professional degree students enrolled at least half-time. This loan is not based on financial need, and interest is charged while you are enrolled. You may choose to defer the interest, but if this option is selected, the interest will be capitalized (added to the principal amount). You are responsible for paying the interest that accrues while attending school and during the post-enrollment grace period.

Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan

PLUS loans are federal loans that graduate or professional degree students may use to help pay for educational expenses. The U.S. Department of Education makes Direct PLUS Loans available to eligible borrowers.

Federal Pell Grant

The Federal Pell Grant Program provides need-based grants to low-income undergraduate students. This is a grant and does not need to be repaid. Eligibility is determined through the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

Federal Perkins Student Loan (expired)

The Federal Perkins Loan provided low-interest loans to help students finance college costs. Because Congress chose not to reauthorize it, the Federal Perkins Loan program expired on September 30, 2017 and is no longer available to students.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

An FSEOG is awarded to undergraduate students with exceptional financial need. This is a grant and does not have to be repaid. Priority is given to Federal Pell grant recipients. The award, determined by the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarship Programs, is based on financial need and the availability of funds.

Federal TEACH Grant

The Federal Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) provides grants to students who intend to teach in an elementary or secondary school that serves students from low-income families. Grant recipients agree to teach for at least four years, within eight years of finishing their teacher preparation program, and to teach high-need subjects in designated schools.

Federal Work-Study (FWS)

Federal Work-Study is a part-time employment program. Work-study eligibility is awarded by the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarship Programs and is based on financial need and the availability of funds. Jobs are available both on and off campus, at wages that vary by position. A weekly paycheck is paid for the hours worked; these funds will not appear as a credit on the student’s bill.

New York State Tuition Assistance Program (TAP)

TAP is a grant available to New York State residents enrolled for at least 12 credit hours each semester.

Robert Noyce Scholars Program

The Robert Noyce Scholars Program responds to the critical need for mathematics and science teachers by encouraging talented science, technology, engineering and math students to pursue teaching careers in high-need K-12 schools.

Syracuse University Grants

Syracuse University offers grants (aid that does not have to be repaid) to students who demonstrate financial need. Eligibility is determined from information provided on the CSS PROFILE and the availability of funds.

Yellow Ribbon Program

Syracuse University will contribute a portion of tuition for veterans enrolled in the Yellow Ribbon program, and the Veterans Affairs will match that amount.