Syracuse University has a variety of financial aid programs to support graduate study, including scholarships, assistantships, and fellowships.

These programs are administered within each of the University’s academic departments, so the fastest and easiest way to determine what aid you may be eligible for is to connect with specific school or college staff.

Federal Loans

  • Federal Unsubsidized Loans for master’s, professional, and doctoral students are available annually for up to $20,500 (see eligibility requirements).
  • Federal Direct Graduate PLUS loan is also offered as a financing option.
  • You’ll need to apply for federal aid before the end of your term of enrollment.

Managing Your Application

After you’re admitted to Syracuse for graduate/professional study, you’ll receive instructions for accessing MySlice, your secure virtual gateway to life at Syracuse. Your MySlice Financial Aid To Do List will house your Syracuse University Graduate Financial Aid Application and requirements.

Begin the federal aid application process by following the instructions on your To Do List. Your official notice of aid will also be viewable on MySlice.

Applying for Federal Financial Aid

Students entering Syracuse University:

Step 1

Please file the 2023-2024 Free Application for Federal Student Aid by July 1 for fall/spring aid.

Step 2

Please complete the Syracuse University Graduate Financial Aid Application on your  MySlice  To Do List.

Step 3

When your completed FAFSA and Syracuse University Graduate Financial Aid Applications are received, your MySlice Financial Aid will be updated with the amount(s) of your federal loan eligibility:

  • Students attending summer session(s) will be updated beginning in April.
  • Students admitted for the fall semester will be updated beginning mid-April.
  • Currently enrolled students will be updated beginning mid-June.

Please note that federal financial aid will be disbursed to your Bursar account when all financial aid and admission requirements are met, including receipt of official degree-bearing transcripts.

Certificate of Advanced Study Programs (CAS)

Federal loans are available to support most CAS programs. Students apply for the Federal Direct Loan program as an undergraduate.

The following loan eligibility limits are available (if a student has not already exceeded the maximum undergraduate aggregate borrowing limit):

  • Dependent students: $7,500 per academic year
  • Independent students: $12,500 per academic year

To apply, complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)  and the Syracuse University Graduate Financial Aid Application, available on the  MySlice Financial Aid To Do List. For entering students, this becomes available after you are officially admitted to your certificate program.

Renewing Financial Aid

Students with graduate awards should contact their graduate academic department directly for information about renewing the award.

To renew federal financial aid, graduate students who are permanent residents or U.S. citizens must:

  • Annually file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
  • Annually complete the Graduate Financial Aid Application found on your MySlice Financial Aid To Do list
  • Be matriculated in a degree program
  • Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress  standards
  • Enroll at least half-time each term in courses that are required for your degree program (See Graduate Academic Rules)
  • If enrolling for summer, complete the online Summer Application found on your MySlice Financial Aid To Do List