What is Financial Coaching?
Financial coaching is your chance to sit down face-to-face with a Smart Money Coach who can help:
- Understand your current financial situation
- Assess your needs and help set goals
- Give you tools and resources to succeed
- Monitor and follow up on your progress
Smart Money Coaches can provide information regarding:
- Credit Cards and Scores
- Student Loan Types
- Student Loan Repayment Options
- Banking Basics
- Investment Basics
- Retirement Types and Features
- Insurance Types and Features
- Understanding Paychecks and Taxes
Smart Money Coaches are understanding and impartial, and all discussions are confidential.
How to Schedule an Appointment
To request a one-on-one financial coaching session, follow these five steps:
- Click on the “Orange SUccess” link from MySlice or Blackboard.
- Click on Services and search for the “Office of Financial Literacy.”
- Click on the “Schedule Appointment” link to schedule directly with a Smart Money Coach or by date/time.
- Select a date on the calendar that works for you, then select a time and click “Sign Up.”
- Select a reason for the appointment from the drop-down and confirm the appointment.
If you are experiencing issues accessing the appointment scheduler using Orange SUccess, you may alternatively email FinLit@syr.edu to schedule your appointment.
What to Expect
You and your coach will discuss your current financial situation, your goals, and the best strategy for follow up. Bring specific figures or statements to the appointment.
Please note that coaches provide education, information, and strategies only. Students interested in financial planning and investments are encouraged to consult a financial professional.
You Can Do This
This is your chance to start developing the skills you need to succeed with money – now, and long after college.